Skip to main content

Founding of the Organization

Emblem of United Daughters of the Confederacy

United Daughter of the Confederacy Emblem

“Shall consist of a representation of the Confederate flag (stars and bars), in white, blue, and scarlet enamel, surrounded by a laurel wreath, with the memorandum D. C. under the flag, and dates ’61-’65 on loops of low tying wreath.” Text from the Albert Sydney Johnston (Louisville, KY) Chapter’s Constitution, Article XII, Section 1.

 

United Daughters of the Confederacy (UCD) emerged as one of the primary methods of participation for women in the Lost Cause at the turn of the twentieth century. A native Kentuckian, Caroline Meriwether Goodlett, along with Anna Davenport Raines founded the organization in 1894. The women created the group in Nashville, TN under the name the National Association of the Daughters of the Confederacy. The name changed within a year of its founding. UCD formed out of the interests in Ladies Memorial groups in the decades following 1865. UDC grew rapidly. Thousands of women joined together into chapters honoring the Confederacy and promoting Southern culture.

Adopted at the 1901 National Convention, the organization officially used the emblem, seen here, along with the motto, “Love, Live, Pray, Think, Dare.”